Unit 5: “A Song of Ice” Reading Response

Get the discussion on this article started by posting your reading response here. Please remember that you will need to post your response and then read other students' responses and post  a reply.

In this essay, Elizabeth Kolbert says "The problem with global warming--and the reason it continues to resist illustration, even as the streets flood and the forests die, and the mussels rot on the shores--is that experience is an inadequate guide to what's going on."

2016 was a year of record highs: it was the warmest year ever recorded, both on land and within the oceans, its average temperature approaching one entire degree Celsius above the 20th century average - and science journalists spend much of their time reporting how this is changing our planet. And yet, many politicians and American voters strongly disagree that anything is amiss. Do you agree or disagree with their efforts, and how do you think scientists and journalists should address the problem in the future? Use the "Recognizing Logical Fallacies" resource to help explain your response, if its helpful.

Write your response in a comment to this page.

38 thoughts on “Unit 5: “A Song of Ice” Reading Response

1. Jesse Coulman

I think there efforts are worth wile. Through science, we can say for a fact that global warming is happening. It’s evident due to the fact that we can see annual temperature rises happening as year’s progress, and by analyzing the rate at which temperature is increasing we know the problem is getting worse. With this knowledge, it is important for the scientific journalists to report to the people showing the increasingly negative changes to our environments so that hopefully one day the politicians and voters will accept that its happening and demand change.
    The quote blew my mind, “The pace of change has surprised even the modellers. Just in the past four years, more than a trillion tons of ice have been lost. This is four hundred million Olympic swimming pools’ worth of water” (Kolbert). Imagining that one day if nothing changers the rest of the ice will be gone. What will the ocean levels look like? How much of the world will be underwater?
    Scientists need to continue researching ways in which clean energy can become economically feasible, as well as ways in which to limit the damage done to our environment due to our previous years of polluting the atmosphere. Journalists should continue documenting and studying the environmental changes so we can better understand where our world are heading, and how long it will take to arrive.

1. Lindsey Paulsen

How can one even imagine the massive amounts of ice that have vanished? It is insane to me that people can remain ignorant or carefree when it comes to these hard, truthful recorded facts. I am quite the avoider myself, so I understand wanting to bury your head in the sand when something makes you uncomfortable. I have done it often, but not with something so life-changing and intensely important, and something with so much evidence. I’m an introvert and very passive, so taking a stand has always been hard for me, but it is situations like this that motivate me to get out of my comfort zone. Insightful post!

2. Christina Beaver

I do think this issue needs to be researched. Most people might disagree with this because the change isn’t happening overnight but in years. When you compare the data, for instance, in 1979 to today, we might see a substantial increase in melting. Although if we just talked about the effects of it on us now, we might not understand it to its full extent. In the future, researchers should give a quick summary of how global warming has so significantly affected Greenland so far and what we can do to prevent it from continuing. Like we discussed in earlier weeks, its important for the scientist to know their audience. When you know your audience, you know how to present the information in a way that they can understand, father proving your point.

1. Olive Hager

That’s so true. They also mentioned that in the samples of ice they saw periods of rapid warming and then abrupt cold snaps. Perhaps our impact on the environment isn’t as big as we think and these are just natural cycles of the planet!

2. Jessica Hernandez

I will jump on board with this post, it is so true. It is extremely hard for people to grasp the idea of something that is not happening in the moment and will continue to deny till it happens right in front of there face.

3. Olive Hager

I agree with their efforts, but unfortunately people who don’t believe in it are placing their arguments in an ignorant fallacy. Because they can’t see the change happening (as it can take longer than human lifetimes to be significant in some areas) it isn’t happening. And if politicians believe this fallacy, their supporters may just agree with them because they’re in a position of authority! It’s important to continue to report it as it happens, though, because someday people may grasp the situation fully and try to reduce our impact on the environment around us.

1. Logan Borger

The ignorance of humanity is disturbing. I also hope that someday people grasp the situation fully and work towards protecting the environment.

1. Shurena K

I like this quote! You couldn’t be more on point. Ignorance in humanity is a very real concern for today’s society. So many people walk thru life with blinders on, well that is until it effects them directly.

4. Jessica Hernandez

When reading this section it opened my eyes to more of the changing I have already been seeing. I agree with all the efforts that the scientist continue to do to better the world. Global warming is being proven everyday through science and the facts that are constantly being shown. I think one way scientist and journalist can address this situation is through showing all the facts and how we can help better the world to help slow down global warming. Also, another way that I think could help the scientist and journalist is if the government showed there concerns and how important it is to help better the world for the future.

With the facts that we have now and the research that is being done and what will be done in the future it will continue to improve what we are seeing down with global warming.

1. Seth Packer

The reality of climate change reminded me of a study about human behavior I read a while back(sorry for no source). In which children were offered one marshmallow and if they did not eat it for 5 minutes they got a second one. The patient would say “5 minutes for 100% more marshmallows, no brainer!” and yet almost every child just ate their marshmallow immediately.The point being even if we know the direct outcome of our actions we will usually choose instant gratification over delayed gratification. Thus many people would rather live their life not worrying about the consequences, not believing in climate change is more of a convenient excuse than a legitimate reason. It’s a distracter from the real issue: humans (in general) are greedy and awful at resource management .

1. Travis Winterton

Absolutely agree with you. I think its this similar kind of mentality that is causing people not to care about the future of our species as a whole, and it isn’t just exclusive to climate change. “Why bother what is going to happen in the future, if its not really going to affect me personally?”. This could be due to humans being greedy by nature and how it was embedded into our biology from the days of our early ancestors.

5. Logan Borger

I agree with their efforts, although people will believe whatever they want despite the facts. It is quite unfortunate and leads me to be more pessimistic about the future of our planet. Despite this, scientists and journalists need to make the facts extremely plain and continue to do their best work to protect our planet’s future. Perhaps educating the public is a civil duty that each of us must perform for posterity’s sake. I hope that the people that need to be emboldened to work towards combating global warming know it’s real, and hopefully that’s enough.

6. Seth Packer

Well, I’m not going to lie I did not enjoy that reading. But, petty gripes aside Kolbert raised a good point; the effects of global warming that we’re seeing now are a result of the climate several years ago and we wont see the damage that we do today for several years. This makes a viscous loop of scientists claiming that we are causing great and irreversible damage to the climate with deniers claiming that they see no change thus there is no problem. This claim of course is false, it has been established that you won’t see the changes for several years, there is no cause to be surprised if you do not see the changes today, that was part of the premise. Deniers technically have a sound argument- i see no change, thus there is no change- but, that argument does not at all counter the argument of climate change proponents, they only tell themselves it does. Of course I agree with their efforts, but in some ways its like getting the cart before you get the horse. What’t the point in telling the truth to someone who doesn’t want to hear it? It’s like talking to a wall at that point, there needs to be a change in the social and political climate of the world before we can go about actually fixing the real climate.
    -Side note, I realized that I did an ad-hitlerum in my last response. My apologies for the fallacy, but I will say that I think the argument I made holds I just picked a cliche example.

7. Rebekah Ulrich

I do personally agree with their efforts. Global warming by this time should not be anything new to ones mind, in Elizabeth Kolbert’s article “Greenland Is Melting” she states, “Just in the past four years, more than a trillion tons of ice have been lost.” Temperatures every year are slowly rising and making a great impact on glaciers and ice sheets. With how much the world has changed, journalist and scientist need to inform residents about the major global changes. It is an ugly truth but humans for centuries have walked across this earth not thinking of the consequences that follow their actions. Humanity needs to be informed of the major global changes around. Politicians and many American voters that are amiss to this change will not help in the efforts to make a difference, what will it take for them to realize that something has to be done? Maybe before it is too late to retract our steps and actually make a difference. Scientists are very aware of the drastic temperature changes in Greenland. Kolbert states, “Greenland has shot up by fifteen degrees in fifty years. Then they’d dropped again, almost as abruptly.” They are aware and working every day and every year to see how humanity can make a difference but scientists and journalists need to make the residents of this global change more self aware.

1. Conall Birkholz

I agree with your position in that scientists and journalists need to make the public more self aware of the consequences of global warming. While there are thousands of scientific papers on the issue, I feel like for it to become positively popularized there needs to be a “face” of the movement, or some type of celebrity or new discovered celebrity that takes the issue of global warming and spreading its awareness as their main mission. Producing a well distributed movie, documentary, or tv show covering the topic I think would be another good way to positively promote the issue and make people more aware of it.

8. Jerry Carroll

I think that the research is necessary to help understand how fast the climate is changing. This entire essay was talking about the amount of ice being lost in both Greenland and Antarctic, which is the result of warmer temperatures. This was actually the first essay I’ve read on the amount of ice on Greenland, and it was very interesting and I’m glad that I read it. I think if more people knew about this kind of stuff they would care more about what they are doing to the world.

1. Lane Ito

I fully agree with you about how interesting the amount of ice in Greenland is, and how more people need to know how fast the climate is changing. I would not want to imagine what would happen is the ice in Greenland, Antarctica, and the Arctic Ocean melted completely.

9. Conall Birkholz

When it comes to the global climate, I think it is very important the efforts scientists are taking to understand the significance of how a warming climate is affecting our world. Currently the topic of global warming is still considered a debatable topic, mostly in America. This is because the topic of global warming has been politicized, so when people in positions of authority deny something like global warming even when it has substantial scientific evidence and backing, people who listen to and follow those people will disregard the articles written by people they don’t know or respect. I think moving forward, scientists and journalists while still focusing on researching and publishing important articles and papers, need to take a more direct approach and try and contact and persuade the people who have positions of authority and preach that climate change is a hoax. Silencing these naysayers or having them switch their stance, will most likely switch their follower’s stance as well making more people aware of the facts and science behind the issue. People love to listen to the people they already agree with, so if these people change their stance that can have a significant effect on how it is perceived by the deniers of climate change, as someone they respect now acknowledges it. This approach will effectively lead into more efforts being taken to combat it as more people will take it seriously and vote accordingly.

1. Miranda Jackovich

I thought your idea of scientist working with leaders in order to take a stance on global warming was great. I agree that them working together could make it easier to spread knowledge about the issue. I think another good strategy for them would be to help incorporate this into schools. If we influence the younger generation it can lead to a bigger movement. Great idea!

10. Miranda Jackovich

Many people in today’s age need to see something in front of their eyes in order to believe it. The ones who have seen it have been affected by it. Arctic and coastal areas have been impacted the most, leaving the rest of America with different outlooks on the issue. Although they haven’t experienced the same sort of devastation, it trickles down to everyone. Oil from the north, crops from farm lands, and water is shared throughout the county. If one of these factors is seriously damaged or lost it will influence everyone. I fully agree that what these scientist do is necessary. Imagine where our planet would be if no one took initiative to see how humans change it. Dahl-Jensen’s explains the importance of understanding glacier rivers, “if we fail to be able to understand them in our past, we don’t have the tools to understand the risk of them in the future.” (Kolbert 101) One strategy the scientist need to do in order to reach everyone is explaining how is affects daily lives. From pricing on groceries to gas, transportation, and income. If people see how it will impact their daily lives it gives more incentive to make a bigger change.

1. Briana Shaffer

I almost agree with you, but I think most people have the ” If it doesn’t hurt me why should I be concerned” mentality. Look at the Flint water issue. how long have they been pleading on news, and social media for help. A few do gooders, went to donate supplies and safe sources of water but the rest of the world continues to pretend to care. I feel like its going to be the mess of our children’s children to clean up. but at that point technology might be so advanced that the solution would be available.

11. Lindsey Paulsen

I agree with their efforts solely because of the evidence and statistics, which you’d think more people would inform themselves on. Most of humanity ignores global warming, whether its because they are in fear, or because they are taking part in a form of ignorance. Global warming has been an issue of humanity’s for decades, and there has been debates and conspiracy opinions on whether or not it is actually happening. I strongly agree that what scientists are observing in the world’s climate is true. There are current studies showing that greenhouse gasses began warming the world’s oceans and continents since the early 1800’s, decades earlier than scientists previously thought. This being said, some people ignore the studies, which implores them to ignore the truth. Every year, temperature increases whether it is by one degree, or twenty (depending on the hemisphere). Initially I thought “who cares? The planet will not be destroyed while I’m still alive, right?” But i quickly and laughingly realized how selfish that stance was. The majority of my morals agree that one person who cares for the planet, can potentially lead to thousands, millions, and so on. Articles like this are what motivates me to work toward what I believe in, and the scientists studying and reporting on global warming are doing exactly that. One person begins a movement, and that is exactly what the pending disaster of global warming needs.

12. Lane Ito

Climate change is benefiting the people of Greenland but how will it impact everyone else? Greenland is currently owned by Denmark, and for many years, the government of Denmark has wanted to keep its relationship with Greenland natural by providing funds to keep the Greenland Ice Sheet from receding. But at the time A Song of Ice was written, the people of Greenland want to be independent from Denmark in order to utilize resources, and developing fishing, mining, and tourism industries.

Before I read A Song of Ice, I did not realize the context was primarily about Greenland. I also did not know the Greenland Ice Sheet was a remnant of the last ice age, 10,000 BC. Finding out that the article was published in three segments in order to fit the length was an extra surprise for me. Plus, I was unaware Greenland had a substantial population until I read the article.

“Though Greenland’s independence movement has nothing directly to do with climate change, indirectly the links are many. For Greenland to break away, it would have to sacrifice the annual grant from Denmark, which would leave a gaping hole in its budget. The island is rich in minerals, and the theory is that these will become easier to get at as winters grow shorter and harbors remain ice-free year-round. Greenland’s deposits of rare earth elements are, by some accounts, the largest outside of China; the island also has significant deposits of iron, zinc, molybdenum, and gold. In 2014, the Greenlandic government released a plan that called for at least three new mines to be operating within four years. “The mineral resources should-so to speak- be made to work for us,” the plan said (pg. 104).”

““Climate change does a lot of marketing for us,” he said. “It’s easier to attract investment.” And as the shipping season grew longer, costs would come down: “Some projects that weren’t economical, maybe they will be as conditions change (pg. 105).””

The two former passages show how Greenland will benefit through independence from Denmark, aside from sacrificing the grant from Denmark. I was quite surprised to learn Greenland’s land is rich in minerals and gold, and to read about a theory stating the deposits will be easier to reach if the winters get shorter and the harbors remain clear of ice. The mention of gold deposits had me thinking of the California Gold Rush, but the chance of another Gold Rush is not likely.

“But the problem with global warming-and the reason it continues to resist illustration, even as the streets flood and the forests die and the mussels rot on the shore- is that experience is an inadequate guide to what’s going on. The climate operates on a time delay. When carbon dioxide is added to the atmosphere, it takes decades-in a technical sense, millennia-for the earth to equilibrate. This summer’s fish kill was a product of warming that had become inevitable 20 to 30 years ago, and the warming that’s being locked in today won’t fully be felt until today’s toddlers reach middle age. In effect, we are living in the climate of the past, but already we’ve determined the climate’s fate (pg. 113).”

This passage illustrates the article’s negative aspects of global warming. First, it states how the people of Greenland have no experience with global warming, and will likely not realize its effect until its next generation is 20 to 30 years old. I did not expect to find out global warming is a slow process which takes decades to show side effects, especially the inevitable fish kill 20 to 30 years before the article was written. This also suggests fishing industries in Greenland could face dilemmas in the near-future.

After reading A Song of Ice, I was shocked to learn how the people of Greenland view global warming as a chance to become independent from Denmark. I also did not expect the people to have no experience with negative effects of global warming, and instead show more concern about establishing new industries. I hope someday Greenland and Denmark can reach an agreement to determine if Greenland’s independence is viable or not.

1. Briana Shaffer

I was also shocked finding out that the people of Greenland were already planning their way to get rich off of global warming. It is really sad if they too think its too late and are already settling into plan B. It is a smart move, but its very sad that their prosperity comes at the cost of a large portion of life on the planet.

13. Briana Shaffer

I thought 2018 was the year of record highs? It seems that the weather gets worse and worse every time I turn on the news. Some place is either freezing, flooding or burning to death. I think people are pushing off problems because no one can explain with 100% percent certainty why the climate is different than average. I think the average American doesn’t understand or want to take the time to understand why the climate is changing or how it is changing. Like pollution and petroleum dependence, problems of the planet are problems of tomorrow. In “Greenland is Melting” by Elizabeth Kolbert, she mentions a red button that humanity could press to stop climate change. She explains that we have gone beyond that, because even if we were to fix ourselves world wide over night we would still be playing a game of catch up from the pollutants of twenty years ago. I think people are just now starting to realize we are gonna get slammed by mother nature. Look at the fire in California and how quickly it spiraled out of control, or at how this past month people were sharing Facebook photos of their doors freezing like they’ve never experienced before. I think as soon as the average person starts suffering more from the effects of global warming and the effects are no longer limited to sad images of skinny polar bears on t.v. , people will start paying attention.

14. Travis Winterton

I think any efforts about helping understanding about our earth better is very important, and this does include the topic of climate change that is at hand. However I think that it has become hard to discuss about the impact of climate change is having in America because of how much the whole topic as been skewed so much by politics. This is shown in this reading with how global warming was actually benefiting Greenland, mainly though ships now being able to reach to the ports that was originally once unreachable during the winter time. “The most obvious impact has been on transportation. Once the bay stopped freezing, supply ships could arrive in January, and sleds became obsolete.” (pg. 109). I think Kolbert bought up a potentially good counter argument to how global warming could be potentially seen as a benefit for not only Greenland that is trying to seek independence, but for other similar situations and I wouldn’t be surprised if we see similar arguments like this be raised up in the future.

But If this becomes a common argument then that raises the question of wither or not the list of benefits that are cause be global warming outweigh it’s consequences. We know that the effects of global warming are more than just a few ice caps melting and sea levels rising. In 2016, Siberia made headlines due to air escaping from the ground that contained 100 times the level of methane and 25 times the level of CO2. This is caused by permafrost melting and all organic matter that was in the ground allowing itself to finally decay, causing both gases to be released. Similar occurrences are also happening in Alaska and in Canada. While a single lake alone will most likely not effect much, combine with all of the others that are sprouting up, it’s net outcome could lead to the process of global warming starting to accelerate more, as well as other major consequences that can negatively effect our environment.

I think the best thing we can do at this point is to simply continue documenting and studying not only the effects of global warming on ice caps, but also these methane lakes and bubbles that are beginning to sprout as at this point we don’t exactly know how much of an impact that all of these bubbles can have on the planet. Scientist and journalist must make sure that they can and are able to continue their efforts in spreading awareness about these phenomenons that are happening on our planet. Maybe this is the cynical side of me speaking, but I’m afraid that the overwhelming majority of people on Earth will most likely not care about the future of our planet. This is either due to many falling for an or being in a ignorant fallacy or mindset, usually along the lines of “Well how can there be climate change if I can still see it snow” etc etc etc. Or alternatively it could be that most people aren’t great with seeing or caring about the feature of our species. Referring to what Seth Packer mentioned about the experiment, I think this perfectly illustrates on how most people get joy out of instant gratification and often don’t care for potentially positive future outcomes. I think it’s that similar mentality that causes many people often not to care about the future.

15. Victoria Murdock

I agree with the journalist. Global warming is an ongoing thing that some people aren’t aware of. It’s sort of obvious due to how the weather patterns have been throughout the world. A record of the changes should be documented and studied to see if there is a way for change. Although the change won’t be overnight, we can start somewhere. The only thing that is hindering a change are the people are not on board or the people who do not care about the world around them and how it greatly affects future generations. People around the world need to come together and start doing things that are easier on the ozone layers to prevent further disruption in the climates, the oceans, and the ice.

16. Makayla Duhon

Global warming is definitely an issue for all of us. Many people will say that it’s not happening in our time, but what about our children and our grand children? Do we just leave them to clean up the mess we all made when it finally makes a big impact on the world? The littlest things that people do can greatly reduce our carbon footprint. But, I also believe that global warming is a way of nature. After the ice age, everything started warming up. Maybe we’re reaching our max heat before the next ice age hits us. There’s also the theory that global warming is helping us instead of hurting us. For instance, many glaciers are growing and the hole in the ozone layer is closing up. There’s only so much we can do to help the Earth.

1. Victoria Murdock

I agree with you when you mention about our children. Nowadays, they do not enforce the importance of recycling as they should, and the uses of harmless chemicals like they used too in my opinion. When I was growing up, in elementary school and middle we actually celebrated “earth day”.

2. Amber Wofford

I agree with you, we as a people only want to believe what we see in front of us but fail to look at the past and how things have changed.

17. Ashley Bolyard

I agree those scientists are making the best effort they can when talking about global warming with the information that they have. However, I feel that when talking about global warming it is forgotten that it has taken time to get to where we are today. Kolbert stated “The climate operates on a time delay. When carbon dioxide is added to the atmosphere, it takes decades–in a technical sense, millennia–for the earth to equilibrate.” I feel that is an important fact that is overlooked, especially in non-believers. So when positions of authority deny the scientists claim, they are believing with ad ignorantiam and person incredulity. Then a waterfall effect happens because their listeners will to either choose or reject the person of authority rejection of global warming. Then they will pass it on; which is an unfortunate cycle.
    I, also, think there are people who are confused when they hear about polar vortex while also hearing about global warming. Those same people are associating global warming must not be happening because there are polar vortex. So I understand why Kolbert stated “The problem with global warming–and the reason it continues to resist illustration, even as the streets flood and the forests die, and the mussels rot on the shores–is that experience is an inadequate guide to what’s going on.” Because is the polar vortex apart of global warming or is it part of climate change. What is the difference between the two? Or are the directly linked.
    I feel scientist could make society be more aware of choices we make day to day and there effect. A perfect example is a water dispenser that states how many bottles a person is saving by filling up their water bottle. Or if scientist could show how much green house gas is produced by doing variable x task. At this point, it doesn’t hurt to try various outside the box ways to bring awareness of global warming.

18. Shurena K

The statement from Kolbert, “This summer’s fish kill was a product of warming that had become inevitable 20 or 30 years ago, and the warming that’s becoming locked in today won’t be fully felt until today’s toddlers reach middle age. In effect, we are living in the climate of the past, but already we’ve determined the climate’s future.”(Kobert pg.113) This passage is heartbreaking and sad. I remember watching “The Inconvenient Truth”, in 2006 for a school project. That was my first real exposure to global warming. I remember the stigma that surround that movie and how everyone thought their ideas were crazy. If we had listened to the advice or done more research 13 years ago. Could we have made changes that effected today’s climate? Was there a better way to stress the importance of Global Warming to government and the public so they would take action? All questions that are relevant in hindsight.

“The pace of change has surprised even the modellers. Just in the past four years, more than a trillion tons of ice have been lost. This is four hundred million Olympic swimming pools’ worth of water or enough to fill a single pool the size of New York to a depth of 23 feet.”,(Kolbert pg.96) Global Warming is an issue that everyone needs to address, not just journalists. Scientists need to keep looking for more clean energy efforts and better recycling and biodegradable options. If it continues to be a low priority to humanity how much of the earth could be underwater in 100 years.

19. Daniel Allred

A Song of Ice
    As a people, we are prone to avoiding things that are inconvenient. If there is something that we are doing that is causing an issue, it is more likely that we will sweep it under the rug and ignore it until it becomes too big a problem to fix. This is seen again and again on the topic of global warming. The average Joe looks at the temperature and doesn’t think that 1oC is anything we should be up in arms over. People use this way of avoiding or explaining away of events because it is simply more convenient than changing their own lifestyle.
    The media has tried for years to bring attention to this growing problem. And here we are with no real solutions and people in positions of power denying that it is even a real thing. There are countless studies and research papers providing evidence of earth warming more and more quickly over the past few decades. Yet, we turn to Politian’s for guidance in a field they, often times, know little about.
    I believe that one of the major issues surrounding this topic is the industry surrounding the cause of global warming also happens to be one of the most profitable on earth. Oil is traded across the world and between governments of all nations. Why would any government want to slow one of their best revenue generators? They don’t. They simply deny that it is causing any problems and continue with what is convenient and profitable.

20. Amber Wofford

I would have to agree with the efforts toward learning and exploring global warming. If we do not make an effort to learn about what may eventually be the death of us then how can we protect our future generations? There are scientists everywhere who study anything we could possibly think of, many not making it seem worth the research but who is to determine that. The research being done in Greenland helps us learn the past and hopefully gives insight to our future. Politicians are an animal on their own and the reason for making an opinion on topics such as global warming is confusing to me. Politicians have not studied these issues all their career so who are they to convince mass amounts of people of its relevance. Unfortunately, America listens and assumes the people who are famous and have power are right and follow with blind faith. I do not have any idea how we could help change the climate for future generations because I do not know many specifics about the subject or even if it is too late or possible to “fix” the problem. There is evidence the way the world works it is damaging our planet but if we weren’t here how do we know that this wouldn’t eventually happen naturally and there is no solution.